Thursday, May 15, 2008

60 Years of Al Nakba (the Catastrophe)

Today marks the 60th anniversary in which Israel declared itself a state. Unfortunately, as the American president eludes to the terrors of the Holocaust, the victims are inflicting their own upon others. While, yes, Palestinians are wrongfully inflicting terror upon Israeli citizens, what IS wrong is that the world turns a blind eye when one side is ALSO inflicting terror upon others.

I watched a documentary tonight with a friend (that I've now seen for the third time) outlining the progression of the Wall in the West Bank. What most of the world does not realize is that this wall does not actually seperate Israel from Palestine. It seperates Jewish settlements from Jewish settlements deep within Palestinian territory. So no, it is not between Israel and Palestine, but actually between Palestinian towns, essentially cutting off Palestinian freedom of movement. I experienced this first-hand, as many of the students I know are either scared or unable to travel to other towns.

Also, I know that blasting rocks from Gaza into Ashkelon is terror - but throwing rocks at Palestinian cars and shooting young Palestinians is also terror. Where is the line between self-defense and aggression? Unfortunately, it is too close to call, especially when you are surrounded by statements like this, "Peace through strength is the way we achieve peace in the world." Is anyone else confused by this statement? (p.s. that statement was made today by Senator John McCain). Honestly, I don't want to live in a world like that.

However, we are in that world. And Palestinians and Israelis live in that world. It is way too much for one person to grapple with alone. I really don't think that peace can come through increased aggression. It doesn't come by sweeping things under the rug. It takes the higher road. And it takes patience. And perhaps it also believes that total peace will never be achieved in this lifetime. There is a dual role at play. There is the individual - with whom there are many untouched layers of "un-peace" and discord. There is also the world at large - with all it's inticricies. You cannot reach the individual without addressing the outside. Likewise, you cannot address the outer status of injustice without addressing the inner layers of discord, disquietude, and rancor within each individual.

I grappled with this hard core in South Africa. In fact, it went even further back than Ecuador, where I was junior year of college. It's an ongoing process. One I'm seeking to work at with the Lord. I love working with the individual, but I find myself too engrossed within this world to neglect what goes on there also. They must work together.

Luckily, "in Him, all things hold together," (Col 1:17) and that's what I'm holding out for.

(Note: this is probably the most unedited entry I have written thus far - not that I'm apologizing, but wanting to make it clear that this is all part of the "re-entry process," or whatever it's called when you've come back from a place that has moved you deeply)

No comments: