Friday, September 19, 2008

Isaiah 51:7, 12

Hear me, you who know what is right,
you people who have my law in your hearts:
Do not fear the reproach of men or be terrified by their insults...

I, even I, am he who comforts you.
Who are you that you fear mortal men,
the sons of men, who are but grass.



Driving back from the Deerfield Academy fellowship meeting on Wednesday night, my staff mates Liz, Kendra and I began talking about the major changes that must happen for a student to take Christ seriously. Boarding school in New England is a radically godless place. I have heard that teachers will openly ridicule students for having "faith." Christian faith, that is.

Even more intimidating is the peer pressure that these students face. I remember what it was like: Trying to not play the part of the outsider. Trying not to drink but desperately falling into compromising situations all the time. Trying to keep up appearances with the latest fashion from J. Crew or Banana Republic. Trying to excel in the classroom and the sports field. Trying to get into the best college.

For boarding school students, these pressures are incredibly intense because there are not many escapes from it.

My prayer for these students is that they would strive to taste the freedom of living without fear of reproach of men. Even as I pray that I myself may strive towards this freedom and this taste!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

it looks like you're at the right place.