Friday, November 20, 2009

Encounter with Bono

Yesterday morning, around 8 am, we were finishing up a Bible study on the Upper East side of New York city with some Sacred Heart middle school girls who had attended a FOCUS camp this past summer when I had my encounter with Bono from U2.

Several months ago I had a dream in which I had told him that his music had really ministered to me. I don't remember much surrounding the dream, except that I had said that clearly to him and he was really encouraged.

I've been struggling lately with what it means to believe God when I keep failing into the same ruts or patterns. The night before the encounter I had been talking with my good friend and co-worker about how to trust God in certain areas and step out in faith.

The whole interaction with Bono began when my two co-workers from NY and I were gathering up our things to leave the diner in which we had just hosted the early morning bible study with those middle school girls. I spotted a man outside down below who looked exactly like Bono, but I wrote it off because I wasn't sure. As we exited and turned the corner on 91st and Madison, we brushed up next to Bono who was saying goodbye to his child and wife. We stopped after a few moments and I told me friend the dream I'd had a few months ago. "Well, he's in there right now," she said. Yup! He sure was! I felt a confirmation in my spirit that this was a step of faith that God wanted me to take. I went back in the diner, told my friend who was paying the bill what I was about to do, and she prayed for me to have courage. I walked straight up to Bono who was sitting alone quietly in the corner of the diner and said, "I'm sorry to bother you, but I wanted to tell you that your music has really ministered to me." He told me thank you, and that it had really ministered to him too, as he touched his heart. He asked me my name and we shook hands. Then he said, "God bless you."

It was a really special moment that I believe epitomizes what it's like to trust God and step out in faith. Not only that, but it was a personal confirmation from God that He not only hears the desires of my heart, but gives me the strength to step out and trust him.

It was an awesome morning!

3 comments:

Jenny said...

Yay Rebecca!!! I know this was huge for you.

Mary said...

That is awesome, Rebs. Did you know that (among many other things) the Lord used a well-timed hearing of "Beautiful Day" to lead me to teach in China? Your story also reminds me of one of my favorite "Bono stories": a friend of a friend was one of those guys that just exudes coolness. Well, when he was in Europe he saw a small crowd gathering across the street and realized that Bono was signing autographs! Being a massive U2 fan (as all cool people are) this guy got in line to shake hands with Bono, practicing what he would say that would, of course, sound completely cool. Well, when it was his turn, he froze and all he could get out was, "Thanks for everything, Bono." Which reminds me exactly of what happened to me when I met Brennan Manning...I turned into a blubbering mess and squeaked out, "Thank you, thank you so much." Your story is much cooler...it will definitely be going on the top of my collection of Bono stories.

Anonymous said...

this is so good!