Monday, April 23, 2007

Man from Togo

We were filing out of our Biblical Faith and Economics class, having been let out early so we could work on a major paper that was due this week, when an honored guest for our class arrived - his arrival completely forgotten by our professor. Although we were visibly disappointed, his arrival could not have been better timed. It was a great way to end our class.

The man had completed the Economic Development track a few years earlier and had spent time on the field since in his country and elsewhere. He was very attuned to the cultural adjustments we would have to make - especially those of internationals reentering their country. What was most influential however was his discussion of spiritual warfare. I feel like this is coming out of the woodwork all around our cohort - and it could be no less essential!! He spoke of the heightened need for spiritual awareness and sharpness in Two Thirds world. I could heartily agree, but realized how numb I had become. This culture desensitizes you so that, if you are not aware, certain trials and encounters can push you back spiritually when you are on the field. I must become sharper! I'm upset I can't remember more of his discussion with us - but I remember a deep sense of peace, and a serious charge to go forth and follow God as we venture into this field. He is leading us! His talk was deeply encouraging - and spoke courage to my heart. Since then I have had other moments of deep encouragement. The sermon today by Jason, as he mentioned suffering that we endure as Christians, ushered up a sense of calling and obedience. I know I must go this path - and there is no other! That is all.

No comments: