Friday, July 20, 2007

A Short Visit to Chicago

I've been here in Chicago visiting my grandmother. It's been a pretty tumultuous time since May for my family. My grandmother's car accident, while having spared her life, greatly impaired her mobility and her mind has declined. Overall however, things are improving. She's eating more and is awake more during the day. It is difficult to see her so faded from the accident, but she is still as beautiful as ever. Below is a picture of us taken this past Mother's Day. Last night, I was able to catch up with one of my classmates and best friends from college, Mary, as we dipped our feet into Lake Michigan's waters, walked through her uptown Chicago neighborhood, and drank tea in her apartment.

Above is a picture of us taken my senior year of college when I traveled with Mary and some classmates to Peru as part of our "Conflict in the Andes" seminar. We spent time talking to university professors, human rights workers, and some government employees surrounding issues of security, conflict, and the country's future. It was seriously one of the best memories ever. The previous post is a picture of me, Maelle, and Mary.

It's been great to get back to Chicagoland - the home of hotdog stands and streets that go on forever.

No comments: