Sunday, December 9, 2007

The Greatest Day in Palestine


Though it was close to a month ago, I still look back on this day with incredible fondness. It started the night before when Laila asked if she could spend the night at our apartment because she was having some problems with a roommate. Of course I was delighted. She overstayed her welcome a bit – but the week that she spent at our apartment was a great opportunity for us to get to know one another.

That first night she spent with us, she attended our weekly “get-together” – Chris, me, and the Norwegians meeting for prayer and fellowship. I gave a small devotion based on Philippians 2 and also an excerpt from “Compassion,” by Henri Nouwen.
The next day, Laila and I toured downtown Ramallah. Our first stop was her favorite dress shop. We thought it’d be funny if we told them I was looking for an engagement dress because I was getting married to a Palestinian! Unfortunately, they did not let me try on the dress that Laila wanted me to wear, so we moved on to some other shops – where she bought me a fake “engagement” ring, and I got some earrings. Then we pretended to be models in her favorite clothing store. A little while later, we met up with the Norwegians who were buying a birthday present for Mary, a girl in their team who is in Tel Aviv. We then went out to ice cream. After buying some vegetables that night at the crazy food market, we headed home and Laila and I set about making dinner. After a delicious dinner, we played cards for hours, listening to my favorite Coldplay CD (Live 2003). I think Laila felt very loved and it made all the difference.

1 comment:

Mary said...

Rebs, that is one of the most encouraging things I have heard in a while. I will be lifting up your precious friends. Be encouraged that He is the Good Shepherd, that He knows His sheep and that His sheep know His voice and that no one can snatch them out of His hand.