Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Time for an update

Surrounded by Arabic once again, I feel more like I am on a cultural exchange program than trying to establish myself possibly in international development work. But perhaps, that is exactly what I need to better understand the culture here.


Last time I came with my good friend Chris from my International Development masters program at Eastern University. We met 3 young Norwegian Bible College students and spent much of our time with them as we hung out with students and helped out at schools.


This time however, I am more on my own. To say it's been difficult would be an understatement. I live with 4 Muslim Birzeit University students (2 from Jenin, 1 from Salfit, and 1 from Tulkarem). I am once again engaged in the conflict here as economic restrictions weave their way down to the lives of the students I interact with everyday. Living with students I knew would present great challenges. Besides the language barrier, there is the ever-constant-confrontation with my physical needs and the inability of these girls to meet those needs for themselves. For example, the days here commonly reach 40-50 degrees Farenheit. Often the houses and apartments inside can reach even colder degrees because of the limestone construction. I am the only one in my apartment with a heating device. I'm also the only one that's been provided with a fridge. How am I to reconcile my faith in Christ with these issues? How does Christ want me to strategically act in these situations?


A few nights ago I felt completely overwhelmed with my responsibilities here (not so much the amont of job tasks but the barriers I need to overcome through Christ to retain perspective, productivity, and peace). I had suffered at least 3 days confronted with the tempation to leave. However, when I arrived in my room I had a sense in my spirit that God had been there preparing it as a place of comfort. It was almost palpable.


I prayed this past fall, that if God wanted me back in Palestine, He needed to provide so I could perform whatever work He wanted me to do. So far, God has been faithful. I still struggle with perspective and inner battles, but God's character does not change and His work continues to go on. Hamdillaah (Thanks be to God).

(the view from my apartment)

No comments: