Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Class

I just came back from "class" - actually a one-on-one tutor at Birzeit University. It may be more expensive than studying with a student, however I felt "empowered" (to use one of our MA words) receiving formal instruction.

The university is awash with students. If you've never been to a university in the Middle East, it can very overwhelming: girls with hijabs everywhere, everyone smoking... It can also be quite fun! I ran into two girls I had met this fall and it was great to get reconnected. Like any university, you can find friends right away - as people run off to their classes or sit outside with their friends.

Birzeit University is located on top of a hill with a commanding view of the countryside. On clear days you can even see through to Tel Aviv. Around 7,000 students attend the university during a given semester, with at least 100 foreign students taking classes in Arabic and Palestinian culture.

As part of my work here in Birzeit, I want to use these Arabic lessons as a way to learn Arabic, but more importantly increase contact with students - now that I am considered an official student!

No comments: