Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Bethlehem... lately

I've spent most of the week here in Bethlehem - in a town outside of Bethlehem called Bet Jalla. From our retreat center, where we are learning about project management, we can see the wall that seperates Israel from the West Bank. Increasingly, I realize with growing rage how little this situation is known outside of these walls. These emotions are not new, but they are rather compounded. I have to apologize if I sound raw. I don't want to incite more rage. I don't want to divide. But sometimes I don't really know what to write about here, except to be honest and give some word of hope.
God is active here, and I don't just say that to put a smilely-face on top of what I have just written. Yesterday I visited a church in Bethlehem with a priest whose vision is divine. He sees hope in the midst of admitting that his congregation is witnessing the deterioration of the situation around them...

I don't know what my future lies here. I am praying about attending a summer course at Birzeit University in Arabic. The more I become engrossed in life here, the more I see doors open and relationships begin. However I must be careful. I cannot imagine that I can do everything. I cannot assume that everything will go as it has.

I need encouragement. I need perspective. And right now I'm going to practice what Paul preaches in Eph., quoting from Psalm 4 before I go to bed tonight.... "Do not let the sun go down on your anger, but search your hearts and be silent."

No comments: