Thursday, June 5, 2008

My Palestinian Psalm

One of the ways that God has enabled me to deal with some of my deep-down emotions concerning my time in the West Bank is to pray the Psalms with the Palestinians in mind. It's one of the most sure-fire ways I know to get my emotions off my chest and be heard, understood, and comforted.

I suggest doing this for any of the suffering you know. As you read it, you may begin to pray for yourself.. but think about how the Spirit of God transcends national boundaries, colors of skin, and life experiences to bring what is needed to the cry of the soul.

I sat there in my bed about 2 or 3 months ago in Birzeit, using this Psalm for soul, when I found myself connecting with the Palestinians in my prayer. If you know anything of the situation, you can probably see what I mean as you read these words. Let it speak to you.


Psalm 4

Answer me when I call to you,
O my righteous God.
Give me relief from my distress;
be merciful to me and hear my prayer.

How long, O men, will you turn my
glory into shame?
How long will you love delusions and
seek false Gods?
Know that the Lord has set apart the
godly for himself;
the Lord will hear when I call to
him.

In your anger do not sin;
when you are on your beds,
search you hearts and be silent.

Offer right sacrifices
and trust in the Lord.

Many are asking, "Who can show us
any good?"
Let the light of your face shine upon
us, O Lord.
You have filled my heart with greater
joy
then when their grain and new
wine abound.
I will lie down and sleep in peace,
for you alone, O Lord,
make me dwell in safety.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

uuuh. that was great.

i like it.