Saturday, December 27, 2008

As I head to Ivoryton..

I'm about to head to Ivoryton, CT for a week-long camp with high schoolers from independent schools across the east coast, but I saw this headline this morning: "Israel launches airstrikes on Gaza, 155 dead." The escalating violence that Gaza and Israel has witnessed is too much. Israel squeezed Gaza into a humanitarian crisis, and now it does this? This airstrike will only cause more rockets to flow into Israel, not less.

I remember when the last major airstrike happened less than a year ago. I was headed to church with some Norwegian friends of mine, crossing through downtown Ramallah, when we were stopped in our tracks by protesting children - in solidarity for the many children killed over the weekend in Gaza. On our way back from church, as we crossed a checkpoint, the smell of burning tires and the sound of Israeli soldier's "preventive" bullets filled the air.

This airstrike will only cause more death and violence. Though I studied political science and spent close to half a year in Palestine I know I could be the last one to advise what to do. All I ask for is prayers for the many that are suffering, that the Christians I know living there would not be overwhelmed, and that God would have mercy on this region and on my friends who live there. (these are pictures taken recently of some of them).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yeah. i remember that.

this is just sad.

heaven gives hope.