Wednesday, January 27, 2010

God's crazy direction

Sometimes, I reach points in my life that are absolutely blank pages. It's crazy how they happen. God shuts a door (I don't really know how they happen), and then I find myself somewhere amazing - much more amazing than I could have planned.

As a bit of encouragement and reflection, I'm going to list some of those moments now:

- At Davidson, when I didn't get the hall counselor position. I remember I looked at the world map over my roommate, Mary Donoghue's bed, and decided Ecuador was the place to study abroad!

- Independent study in Ecuador: Where the heck was I going to go? Well, I knew I wanted to be in the Amazon, working with an indigenous political organziation. But one of the main reasons I wanted to go to Ecuador in the first place was because of stories I'd heard growing up of Elizabeth and Jim Elliot. Wouldn't you know it that I ended up working with the indigenous organziation the represents the Waorani's to the Ecuadorian government.

- Field semester in grad school: I was trying to get back to South Africa, but felt less and less peace about it, and finding it frustratingly hard to get a work or volunteer position there. I had ALWAYS wanted to go to the "Holy Land." And wouldn't you know it, I ended up working with university students (awesome!) right smack in areas where Americans don't normally go (sweet!). And I also learned some of the biggest lessons of my life.

- Working for FOCUS: Now, THAT was random :) I needed tremendous emotional and spiritual healing after the West Bank. So I ended up with some of the best co-workers and supportive staff team I've ever had, with an organization I grew up with, and spent a summer on Martha's Vineyard!! The work is such a blessing!

Conclusion: God is crazy, creative, and intimately personal. He knows what I want before I ask. What's even more amazing is that I don't deserve it. Timothy 1:9 (New International Version)
who has saved us and called us to a holy life—not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace. This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time,

No comments: