Sunday, September 2, 2007

Where I'm at now

"The question of where to live and what to do is really insignificant compared to the question of how to keep the eyes of my heart focused on the Lord."

Henri Nouwen, a Catholic priest, penned these words at a moment when his "mission trip" to Bolivia and Peru brought him face to face with questions of his future and unknowns about both himself and where God desired to place him.

Although I am not entirely in that place, I AM in a place of transition - which always makes me think deeply about my values and where I want to go in life. I'm grieving over the lost presence of friends, yet facing forward - both to the month ahead in which i wait, and the next month in which I go to the West Bank.

Here is a picture of an Arab section of Jerusalem:

And here is a closing thought for tonight:

"Jesus learned obedience from what was suffered. This means that the pains and struggles of which Jesus became part made him listen more perfectly to God. In and through his sufferings, he came to know God and could respond to his call...

Suffering accepted and shared in love breaks down our selfish defences and sets us free to accept God's guidance." - Henri Nouwen


1 comment:

Shannon said...

That's so true Rebecca. I think it was when we all set out to start our degree, in orientation where they told us that often when we grow the most is in the midst of struggles and trials. Those difficult moments cause us to rely more deeply on God and strengthen our dependence on Him.

Continue to blog, I love reading your posts. And know that I love you and miss you.

God bless!