Monday, September 27, 2010

First Day On The Job


(taken at the National Cathedral, hanging out before the meeting at St. Alban's)

It started when I poured orange juice into my cereal.... ahhh...

But then I ground some coffee beans and had a glorious quiet time in Isaiah 3 and a chapter from Elizabeth Elliot's "Keep a Quiet Heart."

It really isn't my first day on the job. I've technically been "working" on the ground here in D.C. since the 9th of September - but this was the first day of the first week of school meetings.

Tonight was the D.C. Upper School meeting, which currently combines high-schoolers from St. Alban's and National Cathedral - about 12 students tonight. We decided this year to host the meeting on campus, which we hope will attract more "drive-bys" (students who stop in for the pizza.. and then will hopefully stay).

Tonight was a great meeting. After "getting-to-know-you" introductions, and a traveling Pictionary game, Kendra led a study on the Psalms, specifically Psalm 19:1-6. We spoke about how we can get to know God through creation, and how He desires a relationship with us.

My favorite line from the evening came from a 10th grade boy from St. Alban's, a rower. Kendra asked, "How have you seen God in creation?" He replied, "Ok, this might sound kind of cheezy, but have you ever seen a newborn baby?"

This is NOT what I expected from the mouth of a 10-graders. This kid is awesome. Of course, all these kids are awesome, and they remind me again of what a privilege it is to have a front-row seat, watching God in their lives.

No comments: