Monday, September 27, 2010

A Need for Older Women

This morning I was acutely aware of my need to pour out my heart to an older woman. Though I have an amazing confidant in my mother, and have women I can call - it means a lot to have someone HERE. The busyness and excitement of D.C. which continue to thrill and encourage can make it very easy to put this kind of thing off, but there are still things (there always will be) for which I need immense wisdom and prayer.

Elizabeth Elliot included this quote in her book, "Keep a Quiet Heart," which encouraged me greatly as I begin regular school meetings this week:

"Say not you cannot gladden, elevate, and set free; that you have nothing of the grace of influence; that all you have to give is at the most only common bread and water. Give yourself to your Lord for the service of men with what you have. Cannot He change water into wine? Cannot He make stammering words to be instinct (imbued, filled, charged) with saving power? Cannot He change trembling efforts to help into deeds of strength? Cannot He still, of old, enable you in all your personal poverty 'to make many rich?' God has need of thee for the service of thy fellow men. He has a work for thee to do. To find out what it is, and then to do it, is at once thy supremist duty and thy highest wisdom. 'Whatsoever He saith unto you, do it.'" (Canon George Body, b. 1840)

I'm excited to see who comes along. In New Haven I had former workers in the Middle East, like me. This week I hope to attend a community group from my church on Thursday, and maybe begin meeting in a "triad" from church as well - "a group of three people (women) that gathers weekly over a set period of time for intensive discipleship through prayer, transparency, accountability and Bible study." -that sounds intense! But I am assured that God will provide what I need as I seek it.

No comments: